Spend the Day at Hunting Island State Park
One of the most beautiful places to explore in South Carolina is Hunting Island State Park—a secluded semitropical barrier island just about 15 miles from Beaufort. This 5,000-acre nature preserve is made up of five miles of pristine white sand beaches, a lush maritime forest, and an extensive saltwater marsh. It’s also home to the historic Hunting Island Lighthouse, originally constructed in 1859, destroyed in the Civil War, and rebuilt in 1875. It also happens to be the only public lighthouse in all of South Carolina.
Hunting Island State Park is such a lovely place to explore during your getaway to the Lowcountry. For those interested in hiking, there are 12 trails at Hunting Island State Park varying in length and difficulty—all offering a spectacular glimpse in the park’s diverse landscape. Other favorite pastimes here include touring the lighthouse, heading to the nature center to see the alligators, treasure hunting on the beach, and watching the sunset from the Marsh Boardwalk.
As a guest at our Beaufort SC Bed and Breakfast, you’ll be a quick drive to all of the best adventures at Hunting Island State Park. It’s truly a magical location fit for any romantic getaway date or couples outing. After you’ve explored the trails, our welcoming and cozy Inn will await your return. With only ten private guest rooms, you’ll love the peaceful and historic atmosphere of 607 Bay on the riverfront. Book your lodging today!
Best Things to Do Hunting Island State Park
Outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers absolutely must add Hunting Island State Park to their itinerary while staying in Beaufort, SC. Thankfully, our mild winters make this park worth a visit any time of year. From hiking and wildlife viewing to visiting the lighthouse and strolling the beach—there’s no shortage of great things to do at this beautiful state park;
Here are the top things to do at Hunting Island State Park:
- Check out the Hunting Island Lighthouse: Unfortunately, the Hunting Island Lighthouse is currently closed for interior tours due to needed repairs, but it’s still an incredible sight to see from ground level. Start here on your visit and head out to explore the 5,000-acre park.
- Hit the Hiking Trails: Exploring the trails at the park is the most popular pastime. There are 12 trails—some easy and short and others up to multiple miles and considered moderately strenuous. We suggest the 1.4-mile Lagoon Trail, which leads you through the maritime forest with scenic views of the lagoon and the various wildlife habitats. For those looking for a challenge, head out on the Diamondback Rattlesnake Trail for experienced hikers only.
- Explore the Pristine Coastline: The beautiful sandy beach is always a draw to Hunting Island State Park. Stroll up and down the five-mile stretch, keeping your eye out for unique shells, shark teeth, and beach glass. The large stands of driftwood logs are perfect photo opportunities.
- Learn More at the Nature Center: One of the best things to do is visit the nature center, which offers guided tours of the park and it’s home to the alligators! Head here to see these fascinating reptiles.
- Take a Boat Tour to St. Phillips Island: Are you visiting Beaufort with romance in mind? Then, a day trip to St. Phillips Island is a must! These leisurely boat rides take you out on the water for possible dolphin sightings and so much more.
- Birdwatching & Wildlife Viewing: This lush and thriving saltwater marsh is home to an abundant wildlife population. While hundreds of bird species call the park home, you’re also bound to spot loggerhead turtles, alligators, deer, and raccoons. It’s always asked of visitors to leave no trace and to practice safety precautions around wildlife.
- Fishing from the Pier: The fishing pier, located at the park’s southern tip, extends 950 feet into Fripp Inlet. You’ll even be able to borrow rods and reels at the Nature Center.
- Pack a Picnic: You’ll find picnic areas with tables scattered throughout the park and in the North Beach and South Beach areas.
Book our Beaufort SC Bed and Breakfast
Our Beaufort SC Bed and Breakfast in the heart of historic Beaufort has been recently renovated to offer ten exclusive guest rooms with a sense of warmth, intimacy, and personality. Each room pays tribute to the building’s solid structure dating back to 1907 and its distinctive block architecture. The rooms showcase exquisite period millwork, exquisite contemporary art from Beaufort, and original heart pine floors. At 607 Bay, you will discover rooms brimming with charm and set the tone for a restful getaway.
The location of our Beaufort SC Bed and Breakfast is ideal for exploring the historic Bay Street, as we’re in walking distance of all the best restaurants, parks, and shopping! Additionally, we’re just a quick drive to the best things to do in the area, including Hunting Island State Park, hiking trails, the lighthouse, and so much more. Before you head out, be sure to take advantage of our breakfast vouchers for a morning meal at our favorite cafes nearby!
For those who might be joining us with romance in mind, be sure to check out our enhancements packages. A popular choice for couples is the “Chocolate, Strawberries, and Prosecco,” add-on and we’ll leave those lovely treats in your room for your arrival. Check out our upcoming availability and get your winter getaway on the books. Make a reservation at our Beaufort SC Bed and Breakfast today!