Spend the Day Exploring the Stunning St. Helena Island, SC
The South Carolina Lowcountry region offers a unique and beautiful travel destination. One of the most stunning areas is St. Helena Island, SC, a sea island in Beaufort County, which holds a special allure for visitors due to its rich history, unique culture, and natural landscape. If you’re planning a trip to Beaufort or Port Royal, you’ll want to include a stop at St. Helena Island, SC—in fact, if you’re heading to Hunting Island State Park, you’ll drive right through this lovely part of the Lowcountry.
St. Helena Island, SC, is also known as the center of Gullah culture, a unique blend of African, European, and Native American traditions. Visitors can immerse themselves in Gullah history, language, cuisine, and crafts through various cultural experiences and tours. One of the major attractions here is Penn Center, where the first school for formerly enslaved people was constructed, and this space continues to be one of the most significant African American historical and cultural institutions today.
There are more than 100 sea islands in South Carolina to visit, and one of the best areas to make your home base is the charming historic town of Beaufort. It’s a perfect location for romantic getaways, friend’s trips, and solo retreats, especially when you book our intimate bed and breakfast in Beaufort, SC, 607 Bay Inn Downtown Beaufort. With only ten freshly remodeled guest rooms, our Inn sets the perfect tone to relax and refresh. Start planning your next trip and book your lodging today!
Best Things to Do on St. Helena Island, SC
St. Helena Island, SC, boasts stunning natural landscapes, including pristine beaches, marshes, and maritime forests. Nature lovers will rejoice on fantastic hiking trails with birdwatching and long walks along the coast. For those who have an affinity for seafood and creative culinary options, you’ll be in luck, too!
Here are the best things to do on St. Helena Island this year:
- Visit Penn Center: As the campus of the former Penn School, an important location in history, this was the site of the first school built for formerly enslaved people in 1862. Head to this museum and cultural site for group or self-guided tours.
- Head to Fort Fremont History Center: For military buffs and historical enthusiasts, this fort and battery is one of the last two surviving coastal fortifications in the United States, intact from the Spanish-American War. Stroll the grounds and head to the history center to learn more.
- Explore the Chapel of Ease Ruins: Wander under the stunning mossy oaks at this old church ruins on St. Helena Island, SC. These tiny chapels were built as houses of worship for the residents of the sea islands during the mid-1700s.
- Camelot Farms Equestrian Center: Head to this 62-acre farm on St. Helena Island for a lovely horseback ride through the Lowcountry. They offer two trail rides: choose the plantation trail or down the beautiful coastline along the Saint Helena Sound.
- St. Helena’s Island Land Ends Beach: You’ll find this spectacular beach at the tip of St. Helena Island, SC. It’s a lesser-known destination than the shores at Hunting Island State Park if you’re looking for a secluded time on the sandy beach.
- Book a Fishing Charter: Spend a day on the water with a chartered fishing trip and try to catch flounder, amberjack, or even barracuda. There are a handful of local businesses for a fun day on the water!
- Fresh Seafood & Flavorful Cuisine: You’ll undoubtedly be eating some delicious meals on a vacation in the Lowcountry. You’ll find some of the freshest seafood and farm produce on the local menus around town. The best restaurants on St. Helena Island not to miss are Johnson Creek Tavern, Foolish Frog, Seaside Grill, and Beedos. And for the best-fried shrimp in the state, head to Shrimp Shack.
- Frogmore Shops & Art Galleries: The village of Frogmore is at the heart of St. Helena Island, its charming epicenter with shops, art galleries, and cafes. Be sure to stop off here for lunch and try the signature dish of the area: Frogmore Stew.
Stay at our Bed and Breakfast in Beaufort, SC
There’s so much to do and see on St. Helena Island, SC, and the surrounding communities. The Sea Islands is a great vacation destination to get away from it all and enjoy the natural beauty. Before you start filling out your itinerary, you’ll want to secure your lodging, and our bed and breakfast in Beaufort, SC, is the ultimate home base for your explorations in the Lowcountry. Not only will you be within walking distance of all of the best things to do in downtown Beaufort, but you’ll also be a quick drive to the area’s greatest attractions.
Our charming Inn, located in the heart of Beaufort’s historic district, creates the perfect space to relax and refresh. Each of our ten newly remodeled guest rooms is designed for couples or solo travelers to delight in modern amenities and historic architectural details. All rooms have personally controlled head and A/C, free wi-fi, and pristine en suite bathrooms. Our welcoming innkeepers and staff have a knack for making our guests feel right at home.
In the mornings, guests will receive a dining voucher for breakfast at one of our favorite cafes around town. This makes your morning plans flexible, whether you’re an early riser or prefer sleeping in later on vacation. You can choose your food options and what time to have them. We’re always here to offer recommendations around town, help with reservations, or directions to the neighboring small towns and Sea Islands. We can’t wait to host you at our bed and breakfast in Beaufort. Book your lodging today!